I haven’t written much here in the last couple of weeks. Lazy me. So here’s a big catchup on all things related to the writing I’ve been doing. As I write this, my home office has been temporarily relocated to the deck outside my home. It’s noisy because both my neighbours are having decks built. But the scent of freshly cut cedar makes up for it! And the weather rocks.
- Today I wrote my take on the upcoming layoffs at RIM. I think they’re a necessary evil. They are not good news nor are they bad news. They are a backwards indicator.
- I’ve been getting a lot of questions from people about buying RIM stock. I think there are a lot of things you need to understand and think about before you buy. It has to be YOUR decision. Read the article I wrote and tell me if you agree / disagree.
- Patrick Spence quit his job at RIM and I posted an article with my thoughts on the subject. Since that article went live, we found out he took a C-level job at a smaller company, Sonos. So I think that pretty much tells us he left RIM because he wanted a C-level title. Besides, my rough work looking at his comp shows he didn’t have diddly squat worth of options to bother staying.
- I put up a post talking about Gartner’s latest data on mobile phones. The long and short of is is I think Nokia has a LOT of room left to fall. And the only vendor making money on Android (device-wise) is Samsung.
- I had coffee last week with a good friend to talk stocks. We’re thinking that Microsoft may finally get it right with Windows 8. And since they make (supposedly) $5 from every Android handset, they actually have an interesting position in the market if they win the #3 slot (plus profit from the #1 slot). Microsoft might be a great stock to own later in 2012. No writing on this yet.